Thursday, June 29, 2006

Introduction

Welcome to my blog, Brit in the USA. I'm still working on the design aspects, so please bear with me. ;)

So, a little bit about me. I grew up in West London in a historical town called Ruislip (Rye-slip). As much as I loved London, I had dreams of living in Hollywood since I was a kid, and when I was able I hopped on a plane and started a new life in Los Angeles, California.

The first thing many people comment on is my lack of accent. I worked hard to ditch the "I'm from London, innit" accent so I wouldn't be accosted in the supermarket and asked to "say something!" like a performing poodle (yet it vanishes the second I talk to my family on the phone). But despite my desire to fit in in my new home, I am proud of my English roots.

It is commonly said that England and America are "two countries separated by the same language", but that is not the only hurdle I have come across. The cultures are entirely different and I've found myself taking an amusingly anthropological stance in observing the behaviors of those around me compared to those little foibles I grew up with.

Hopefully this blog will be an insight into several cultures and should be of interest to Brits and Americans alike.

1 Comments:

At 1/27/2007 3:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI, I enjoyed your blog and would like to list it on the British Weekly's new(er) website. Sorry to be leaving a comment but I'm not sure how else to contact you (pathetic, I know). Thanks
Neil
editor@british-weekly.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home