Saturday, July 08, 2006

Anniversary

Today is the anniversary of my arrival here in the US.

Needless to say, it is not as easy to get into the country legally as many of my English and American friends thought. The immigration system is expensive, time consuming, finicky and extremely frustrating.

A year on, I can safely say that I do not regret my decision to move here. There are things about England that I miss. Fish and chips, a good kebab (is there such a thing?), nice friendly pubs, days out in London ...

There are so many things that I love about LA, though admittedly it is a city many dislike. While it is polluted, many areas are rundown and it can be somewhat dangerous, the same could be said about London. It's just warmer here.

Hopefully this time next year I will be feeling the same way. Fondly nostalgic, but not remorseful.

Happy anniversary!

2 Comments:

At 7/29/2006 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It took me a few days over thirteen months from sending the first form and payment to walking out of the US Embassy in London with a visa. I agree that at times it was a frustrating experience; though in my case made less by so by the problems in selling house in the UK, which was a prequisite for moving. The house did not complete for another five months, so I did not arrive finally in the US until July 2006, having started the move oin January 2005.

 
At 7/29/2006 11:01 AM, Blogger Otana said...

Congratulations for finally getting here. My move took almost twice as long as the "standard", seven months in total after they sent my forms to my old address in Germany instead of London. Did you get your employment authorization and green card upon arrival, or do you have that process to look forward to too?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home