Monday, March 26, 2007

Geography lesson

Today at the grocery store, I peeked at the fish counter and saw cooked crayfish for $3.99/lb. Yum yum. The condensed conversation with the fish monger went something like this:

Him: "So are you from the South?"
Me: "Oh no, I'm from London, England."
Him: "Oh! So the east coast?"
Me: "Uh no, England. The country."
Him: "Which part of England? Like Paris?"
Me: "......."

Observe the wonders of the American public school system at work, dear readers. Isn't it terrifying?

4 Comments:

At 4/16/2007 1:31 PM, Blogger Thashizknit said...

I hear you loud and clear. My husband is a Brit living here in the U.S and we get all kinds of hysterical comments. Funny enough, our favorite thing to do when someone asks where he is from is to say, "Louisiana".

 
At 4/16/2007 5:38 PM, Blogger Otana said...

Ahna, I can just imagine their faces! This is the first time anyone's left me totally lost for words though, I struggled not to laugh right at him.

Love the pictures on your blog, by the way! I'm still at the basic scarf stage of knitting here, some of the things you've put up there are lovely.

 
At 4/28/2007 5:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm an American living in England now and I have to say the school system over here is just as bad, if not worse. Most of the kids over here can't even read.

 
At 4/28/2007 5:15 PM, Blogger Otana said...

Really? That is depressing. I must have lucked out, I went to some fairly decent schools (though having gone past them since I graduated I know they've gone downhill). Education is so vital, it makes me so mad to see such little importance being placed on it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home